Monday, October 3, 2011

The Frighteners (1996)

7/10

More frightened than humored.....

After a car accident in which his wife, Debra, was killed and he was injured, Frank Bannister develops psychic abilities allowing him to see (imdb)

I thought this film would be like Ghost Town, filled with ghost but more funny than scary. The title should have been a tip that this film would not be what I had expected. The Frighteners is well done with twists, scares, a couple laughters sprinkled throughout, and a ton gore. Only down side is that I didn't prepare myself for the horror elements.

The special effect is top notch for 1996. At times the graphics were a bit off, but overall, the ghosts and 'plasma' are convincing and real.

Michael J Fox, again gives a great performance. I love him in Back to the Future, so it is great to follow his journey in The Frighteners as Frank, a man is able to see spirits. Jake Busey also deserves some praise as he played the perfect crazed villain.

Peter Jackson, who will follow this film with directing Lord of the Rings,  (as well as King Kong, and the Hobbit) did a fantastic job co-writing and directing The Frighteners.

The Frighteners is entertaining, thrilling, intriguing and scary film. I was hoping for a bit more comedy to balance out the horror, as I am not great with horror films...

If you want a horror film that has bits of comical elements that will leave you on edge and jumpy...The Frighteners will do just that. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go watch a rom com to try and calm myself

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...