Saturday, December 10, 2011

Doctor Who (1996) TV movie

6.5/10

Totally absorbing even if somewhat flawed in the story/character

Doctor Who follows the newly-regenerated Doctor (Paul McGann) takes on the Master on the turn of the millennium, 31 December 1999.

Out of the entire Doctor Who franchise, this 89min TV movie is the only one that was filmed in Canada and the one I decided to start my descend into the Doctor Who series. There's already 11 Doctors awaiting me, and I started at the 8th Doctor.

Starring Paul McGann and Eric Roberts, the film begins by planting us straight in the middle of San Fransico. The story takes flight right there with the Doctor being taken down and the Master escaping and all hell, pretty much breaking, loose at this point. With a plot like this how could anyone not get sucked right into it. I was right into the storyline from moment one. However, the strong plot is weakened by a flawed storyline  and some irrational characters. There are moments where I am dumbfounded at why a certain character would act in such a way resulting in the climax of the film.

Overall, this wasn't a fantastic perfect movie BUT this TV film does do the trick of generating interest for me towards the Doctor Who franchise..which will occupy my next weeks to month :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...