Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Appaloosa (2008)

6/10

ok plot with great character study

plot: Two friends hired to police a small town that is suffering under the rule of a rancher find their job complicated by the arrival of a young widow.

Going into Appaloosa, I was prepared myself for a somewhat fast paced and dynamic story. What I received was somewhat opposite of my initial expectation and still a very complying movie.

At every major acts in Appaloosa, I would compose (in my head) a twist where someone is set up or betrayed. I over estimated the complexity of the story, as this film was fairly straightforward. It wasn't till about 1/3 through the film did I realize that Appaloosa was a very sophisticated analysis of characters, their interaction with each other and their internal conflicts.

The characters all show traits of conflict within themselves. Virgil Cole (Ed Harris) is conflicted between his duty as the sheriff and his love for. Everett Hitch (Viggo Mortensen) is conflicted between his respect to his best friend's wishes and wanting to do what is best for him. The other town folks are conflicted between to upholding the law but needing to bend some laws to stay alive.

Entertaining enough to keep you interested and sophisticated enough to keep you thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...