Friday, February 3, 2012

Glorious 39 (2009)

4/10

such dramatic build up that resulted in nothing.

Plot: A mysterious tale set around a traditional British family on the eve of World War Two. eldest sibling Anne is a budding young actress who is in love with Foreign Office official Lawrence, but her seemingly perfect life begins to dramatically unravel when she stumbles across secret recordings of the pro-appeasement movement.

what the heck? Were the first words I said at the end of the film. Glorious 39's synopsis built itself up to be this huge espionage war movie that is thrilling and (mistakenly thought by me) full of twists. Throughout the film my mind was racing to figure out what the twist could be and who was behind it all. When the final conclusion unfolded, I realized my attempts at guessing the ending and holding my breath was all for naught.

Glorious 39 seems to be too sedated to be a thriller/mystery. The pace is slow with mostly static shots. The use of children in this film is very odd making the film feel more scary, like the Grudge, than thrilling. I was really thrown off by the children, I didn't feel the connection between the children and the 'big secret'. Bill Nighy and Romola Garai are great, but their acting couldn't save the poor script.

This film is better labeled just drama because the thriller bit is disappointing. I was not thrilled with the ending.

If you want to watch a world war II-thriller-espionge-spy film DON'T watch this.This will just leave you feeling confused and sleepy. INSTEAD watch Black Book,its rated R for some very graphic scenes, not suitable for everyone but it is really thrilling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...