Saturday, May 19, 2012

Galaxy Quest (1999)

8.5/10 [highly recommended]

Loved it...perfect balance of witty humor, action, alien, and sci-fi spoof

Galaxy Quest is about an alumni cast of a cult space TV show, "Galaxy Quest", have to play their roles as the REAL crew of an space ship when an alien race needs their help.

The moment Galaxy Quest started, I knew I was in for something special. I almost didn't watch this film when I first read the plot but I am so glad I gave this film a chance.

Galaxy Quest is spoof on sci-fi/fantasy/alien/outer-space/Star Trek. What audiences should be aware is that this film is about actors pretending to be the crew of a ship on a tv show. So it's actors acting to be "actors" who are pretending to be "crew" of a space ship.

The film begins by introducing the audience (us) to a fictional "cast" of the television show "Galaxy Quest" at a comic con type event. To those who are familiar, will see right of the bat that this film is a perfect spoof of Star Trek. The film even does a perfect job of replicating a comic-con full of sci-fi fans. Alan Rick is fantastic as the "Spock" of Galaxy Quest and Tim Allen was stellar as the captain. Rick, who also plays Snape in Harry Potter, was a joy to watch as he was so full of different facial expressions. I found myself laughing and completely absorbed on the ridiculously witty story.

My favourite element is that Galaxy Quest acknowledge the absurdity of TV and refer to itself. It does not use crudeness, obscenity or vulgarness to try and force a laugh. Rather is uses audiences' knowledge of sci-fi, television shows in general, and spoofs to create a masterpiece.

I love it. I most likely will watch it a couple more times because that's how many times it would need to see the sheer genius behind this piece of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...