Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Hugo (2011)


7/10

Wonderful cinematography, good editing, beautiful scenes... predictable storyline.

Set in 1930s Paris, an orphan who lives in the walls of a train station is wrapped up in a mystery involving his late father and an automaton.

 From the moment the film started, I knew I was in for some incredible scenes and editing. During the first 5 minutes, you'll notice one continuous should of Hugo running through the mechanical back rooms/chambers of the train station. This single shot goes up, down, spirals around, through, and over...never missing a beat as the camera seems to float behind Hugo. I am very fascinated in how this shot was accomplished.

 The colours and lighting in HUGO made the entire film feel almost dream like, which fit really well with the theme of the film. The almost cartoon feeling really asks your brain to try and detect whether what you are watching is real or animated. I felt myself suspended in wondering whether a scene was CGI or real people.

The story is quite predictable. Several times during the film, I found myself guessing how that act will end and how it will tie in with the final conclusion....each guess I made turned out to be right. When I first read the synopsis,  I was expecting that Huge witness a mystery that was full of twists so I guess that initial expectation might have made this film a bit less exciting.

Overall, I would recommend this film to those who enjoy a feel good, good cinematography, and cheerful family film.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...