Monday, January 2, 2012

Max Manus: Man of War (2008)

7/10

Solid cast, great set decoration but slow paced story

Plot: The true story about one of the most brilliant saboteurs during World War II and his battle to overcome his inner demons.

A decent film that captures the life of Max Manus during world war II.

However, I felt something was missing in this film to push it into the catagory of epic/classic but can't put my finger on what. Max Manus: Man of War had the action, great set decoration and amazing characters but it feels like it lacked in the intensity that other world war II films carried. The ease Max and his gang went through check points didn't leave me in cold sweat and panicked. I remember watching Uprising (the TV movie) and after certain scenes I was left shaken. A different type of feeling was created when I was viewing this film. I felt I was just on the sideline watching in on Max's life where I connected with a few characters but spectator for the rest.

This being one of the first Norwegian film I viewed, it has left an impression on me. It was well filmed with great camera angles, nice colour treatment in editing, realistic special effects, bloody amazing set decoration and solid casting. A bit more focus on the other characters' (like Gregers, Kolbein, Gunnar) lives in relation to Max and the saboteurs would have helped the audience to feel attached the the movie. It would have benefitted knowing just a bit more about the other characters to really feel the loss Max felt.

Overall a well made film that is worth viewing but not overly epic.

Though, not going to lie, I have grown rather fond of the supporting character Gregers and wouldn't mind seeing more of the actor  Nicolai Cleve Broch in films.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...