Friday, January 27, 2012

Troll Hunter (2011)

8/10 [Highly Recommended]

Surprisingly good Norwegian film that gives creature features a new twist

Troll Hunter Plot: A group of students investigates a series of mysterious bear killings, but learns that there are much more dangerous things going on. They start to follow a mysterious hunter, learning that he is actually a troll hunter.

I was initially scared to watch this film thinking it would be horror film that is filled with cliche horror moments, dramatic music and gory images of monsters. Troll Hunter put an entirely new twist on creature horror films. I didn't, at any time during the film, cover my eyes in fear BUT I found myself holding my breath in anticipation and eyes glued to the screen. The film is shot in similar style as Cloverfield and Blare Witch Project, using a shaky hand held camera and shot in a documentary fashion.

The acting is above par by this unfamiliar cast. Every moment of tension and action was captured perfectly by this cast.

The CGI of the trolls, felt real. The shaky hand held and documentary filming fashion only helped to emphasize the realistic appeal.

Troll Hunter's story line and held true to the myth of trolls. I learned quite a bit about troll myths from this movie. Too many bad movies nowadays (movie saga that must not be named) moved so far away from the myth of the creatures (vampires) that it lost its core element. Troll Hunters brought the myths of trolls to life, such as trolls turning to stone and exploding with sunlight.

This film also dabbles now and then in a bit of humor, which really help make this film refreshing. I fairly enjoyed the final scene of the film, as the absurdity made me laugh.

Troll Hunter is a creature features aimed at documenting a myth of a monster (oxymoron, I know) and NOT just a horror film directed at scaring you. It seems almost educational in a sense.

I highly recommend this film. It is not that scary but it is uniquely thrilling. Trolling just found a whole new meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...