Sunday, January 22, 2012

Sorority Wars (2009)

4.5/10

typical teen drama, fairly simple, good film to pass the time.

Plot: Katie (Lucy Hale) and Sara (Phoebe Strole) have been friends since childhood. They enter college together, where Katie is a prized legacy candidate for the Delta sorority


When I started this film, I thought it would be another disney teen drama and that I wouldn't like it. However, when the first scene started rolling I found myself enjoying it. Seeing Katie (played by Lucy Hale from Pretty Little Liars) starting her first day at University, it reminded me of myself on first day of FROSH but less dramatic.

The ending of Sorority Wars is, to some extent, predictable. I figured Katie to come back on top as most heros do. However, I liked how the film made the final achievement NOT to be "the popular guy". The film veered away from the typical ugly duckling to beautiful swan scenario (like A Cinderella Story, She's All That) and went with somewhat of an opposite  story. We have the popular girl turning into the one who can't even find a chair at lunch table. She struggled through it with happy endings (of course, no surprise there).

I found the film to be too short, not giving enough time to really explore character personalities and lacked in a better look at the university school life. Also, some of the characters seem to lack in common sense, which became somewhat a pain to watch.

Lucy Hale is a good actress with a lovely singing voice. I can see her being in a lot more films, be it teen dramas, daughter of some die hard hero in blockbuster Hollywood action flick or courageous damsel in distress of some thriller/horror. Hale is just getting started.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...