Sunday, January 8, 2012

Nine Queens (2000)

7/10

Cons after cons after cons that I don't even know what to expect.

plot: Nine Queens, Nueve reinas, is an Argentinian film about Two con artists try to swindle a stamp collector by selling him a sheet counterfeit rare stamps (the "nine queens").

[warning: spoiler] ----------

The opening sequence was a bit confusing becauseI assumed the two characters were in on it together, only to find out this is their first time meeting.

The film takes us through numerous cons, all with different approach but each resulting in the two men earning cash. These little cons revolves around a bigger scheme involving a set of stamps. With so many different cons happening in the film, I imagined there to be a bigger twist toward the end. Throughout the film I started guessing the alternative endings to Nine Queens. This isn't the first film I watched that I started making guessing the possible endings for. I predicted there to be a bigger scam overshadowing the Nine Queens, which I got correct. However, I was shocked to find out who was involved in the scam.

-----------

Starring Ricardo Darín the same actor from The Aura and The Truth In Their Eyes. Having watched three of his films almost consecutively, I have gotten a better appreciation for his acting. Darin is a very solid actor and can embody characters very well.

I would recommend people to watch The Truth in Their Eyes first and then Nine Queens; you can skip The Aura as it isn't everyone's cup of tea.

This film will make you very much aware of strangers the next time you are wondering the streets.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...